Monday, January 26, 2015

Going in Reverse


Special “Thanks” to the Salmi Girls for “Don’t Give Up, Don’t Give In”- lessons from an extraordinary life by Louis Zamperini & David Rensin.
This is a must read for all athletes and coaches…fabulous short chapters with pearls of wisdom about life, moving forward and dealing with disappointment.
We really liked this one; My Survival Kit.
“Being stuck on a raft in the middle of the Pacific is a pretty exotic circumstance, so let me bring the lesson closer to home. I remember teaching my son, Luke, to drive. He said that it was more like a course in anticipating what every other driver might do. He was right. I also made him learn how to go in reverse before I’d let him put the car in drive. What on earth for? If you can master keeping the car on a straight line going backward, going forward is much easier.”
Sounds simple, right? Try it sometime. Then figure out an example in the world of sports; try that sometime. Hint: ever been injured? – Or disappointed? – Or frustrated? – Or go to your “big meet” and miss?

No comments: